Holiday baking is a time-honored tradition in many households and one way to spice up things this season is to get creative with your ingredients. Fill your home with a dreamy aroma and capture the spirit of the season(ing) by adding delicious and bold spices to your baking recipes from streusels and cakes to pies and cookies.
Enjoy the following recipe from Simply Organic for a decadent treat that combines chocolate, pumpkin puree, and our favorite autumn spices to make rich brownies that are sure to please.
SPICED PUMPKIN BROWNIES
Cook Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
For the brownies
8 ounces 6O% cacao bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
8 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup black cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the pumpkin swirl
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Simply Organic vanilla extract
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic ground ginger
1. Preheat oven to 35O. Line an 8×8-inch or 9×9-inch pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, add the cream cheese, pumpkin, egg, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and ginger. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the bittersweet chocolate and butter. Continue to stir until smooth. Remove from heat and add in both sugars. Once the chocolate mixture has cooled add in the eggs and whisk until combined.
4. In a large bowl, sift together both flours, cocoa powder and baking powder. Once sifted, add in the salt.
5. Add the chocolate and butter mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir just until combined.
6. Pour the brownie batter into prepared pan and bake for 5 minutes. Remove; use a spoon to make divots into the batter and spoon the pumpkin mixture into the divots. Use a knife to swirl the pumpkin mixture into the chocolate brownie batter. Bake for 45 to 5O minutes.
7. Cool completely before running a knife around the edges and carefully removing the brownies.
8. Cut into 16 pieces and serve.
Explore these enticing flavors that showcase bulk spices in our store from Simply Organic: