Poppy Seed Scones with Vanilla Glaze
This recipe from Frontier Co-op yields the ideal scone; thick, buttery and layered with a perfect, crumbly texture. Featuring the winning combination of bright flavored lemon and crunchy, nutty poppy seeds, it also just happens to be gluten-free.
For the Scones
1 1/2 cups oat flour
3/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 cup almond meal or flour
1 tbs baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbs poppy seeds
1/2 tsp sea salt
7 tbs cold butter, chopped
6 tbs heavy whipping cream
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
2 tsp lemon peel
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon flavor
1/8 tsp vanilla bean seeds
For the Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 to 4 tbs heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Stir together dry ingredients, and add butter by cutting it in with a pastry cutter or large fork until the mixture is crumbly and butter is evenly distributed. Refrigerate.
- Whisk together all wet ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the dry bowl from the fridge and gently stir in the wet ingredients until just incorporated and dough holds together.
- Knead once or twice with hands until held together but do not work into a tightly packed ball. (If the dough seems dry and isn’t coming together, gently work in another 1 tablespoon of cream. If overly sticky, add another 1 to 3 tablespoons of oat flour.)
- Split the dough in 2 halves, shape into rough ball shapes, and place on the large baking sheet.
- Lightly work the dough into a circular shape with your fingertips until about 1/2 to 3/4-inch thickness all around. Lightly press in the edges to help them hold together. (Do not use a rolling pin.) Slice each circle into 6 medium sized, triangular scones.
- Place pan in the freezer for 10 minutes and preheat your oven to 425 degrees with rack in center.
- Remove pan from the freezer and spread scones on the pan leaving 1 to 2 inches between each.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the tops have risen and are cracked, and the bottom edges are golden brown. Let cool for 30 minutes then move to a cooling rack until fully cooled.
- For glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, cream and vanilla extract. Add more cream to thin out if needed. Drizzle or spread over cooled scones and sprinkle poppy seeds over top.