Making creamy, fresh nut butter is easier than you think. You only need a few ingredients and a food processor. Follow these recipes, and you’re on your way to reviving the traditional PB&J. After all, everything goes better with butter, nut butter that is!
Using nuts such as almonds or cashews, you can make delicious homemade nut butter.
Almond Butter Recipe Yield 1.75 cups
- 4 cups (552 g) unsalted roasted almonds
- ¼ cup (6O ml) canola oil
- Place all ingredients into a blender in the order listed and secure lid.
- Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to to high.
- Tamper to press the ingredients into the blades.
- In 1 minute you will hear a high-pitched chugging sound. Once the butter begins to flow freely through the blades, the motor sound will change and become low and laboring. Stop machine.
- Store in an airtight container. It can also be frozen for longer storage.
Note: As food processors vary, you may need to make adjustments to the speed, processing time, and/or ingredient quantities.
Important: Avoid burning out your food processor by incorporating five-minute breaks during mixing to allow your processor to cool down.
Photos, recipe and variations courtesy of Vitamix.
Think outside the jar, and mix up all kinds of creative blends:
Honey-Roasted Butter: Coat almonds (or other nuts) with honey before roasting, then follow directions in the recipe above.
Chipotle Nut Butter: Add a hint of chipotle powder and a sprinkle of salt for a sweet, salty, nutty treat with heat.
Chocolate Nut Butter: Blend the nuts just until they become fluid, then add mini chocolate chips to the machine.